Professor of History & National Endowment of the Humanities Distinguished Professor
203 Whitesides Hall, CPO 2830
- 1 - 3:30 p.m.
- 1 - 3:30 p.m.
If there is a conflict with the times above please contact by email to schedule an appointment.
- Ph.D. History – University of Tennessee, 1995
- M.A. History – University of Alabama, 1988
- Higher Ed. B.S. Education – Western Carolina University, 1978
- Environmentalism and the Environment in the Southern Appalachian Region
- Stock Car Racing/NASCAR History
- Southern and Southern Appalachian Culture
- Race Relations in the South
- An Illustrated Guide to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, in collaboration with Joel Anderson and Nathan Anderson, Anderson Design Group, September 2017.
- Hazel Creek: The Life and Death of an Iconic Mountain Community. Great Smoky Mountains Association, March 2017.
- Corn from a Jar: Moonshining in the Great Smoky Mountains. Great Smoky Mountains Association, June 2013.
- Real NASCAR (University of North Carolina Press 2010)
- The Great Smokies: From Natural Habitat to National Park (University of Tennessee Press, 2000)
- "’Bib Overalls and Bad Teeth’: Stock Car Racing and the Piedmont Working Class" in Atlanta History. Fall 2004.
- “The Road to Nowhere: Tourism Development vs. Environmentalism in the Great Smoky Mountains" in Southern Journeys: Tourism and the New South (University of Alabama Press, 2003).
- "Logging in the Great Smoky Mountains," 35-page booklet published by the Great Smoky Mountains Association. July, 2003.
- “The Most Southern Sport on Earth: NASCAR and the Unions,” Southern Cultures, Summer 2001.
- “The Barbarism of the Huns: Family and Community Removal in the Establishment of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park,” Tennessee Historical Quarterly, Spring/Summer 1998.
- Articles on Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Anne Davis, Governor Austin Peay, Bristol Speedway in The Encyclopedia of Tennessee History and Culture (Nashville: Tennessee Historical Commission, 1998).
- Encyclopedia articles on Great Smoky Mountains and southern stock car racing in The Encyclopedia of Appalachia, The New Georgia Encyclopedia, The South Carolina Encyclopedia, The Encyclopedia of Alabama, and The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture.
- “The Golden Era of Stock Car Racing, 1936-1971.” Stonebridge Productions. Consultant and on-camera appearance. 2006.
- "Mountain Thunder: The History of Stock Car Racing in Buncombe County, North Carolina." A program sponsored by the Buncombe County Library System consisting of seven community programs and a thirty-page booklet. Summer 2003.
- "Pops: The Curtis Turner Story." Stonebridge Productions, 2003. Consultant and on-camera appearance.
- "The Mystery of George Masa." Bonesteel Films, 2002. Consultant and on-camera appearance.
- "Speed and Spirit: NASCAR in America." Proposed museum exhibit at Atlanta History Center in conjunction with the Smithsonian Institution. History consultant, 1998-2001.
- The Historians Craft
- Civil War and Reconstruction
- North Carolina History
- Southern Appalachian History
- History of the American South
- The National Parks
- Environmental Indian